Friday, April 20, 2012

Extreme Peanut Butter Bookies

For all those of you out there that are in love with the combination of peanut butter and chocolate I place before you the
Extreme Peanut Butter Bookie. 

Do you see the gooey peanut butter in the middle there? Soooo good. Also, the bottom right is a melted peanut butter cup - oh yeah!

DSC_3149

You may recall a couple weeks ago when I did the original Bookie. (Brownies and chocolate chip cookies baked together.) Then, I upped the anti and made Extreme Bookies. (Brownies, cookies, and a whole lotta other good stuff thrown in the middle.) Well, I have a couple of Reeces junkies in the house so I put together something they would rather eat their veggies to earn than pass up. It worked, by the way, the kids made their own spinach salads and ATE them all gone to earn a taste of these dee-vine bookies.

The recipe is below - I hope you have just as much luck with bribery as I did.

What you'll need:
Brownie batter for a 9 x 13 pan (see #1 below)
8 large peanut butter cups
1/2 cup peanut butter chips
1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
1/2 cup of creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup mini Reese's pieces for baking
1 batch of peanut butter cookie dough (see below)
1/4 cup milk chocolate chips

What you do:
1. I could give you a brownie recipe here but the fact of the matter is, pick your favorite one and go for it. I am not above using a mix if you want, as long as they are true brownies and not a cake-like version of a brownie. Mix up the batter and pour it into a prepared 9 x 13 in pan.

2. On top of the brownie batter put your peanut butter cups (spaced evenly); peanut butter chips, and the milk chocolate chips. Drop the peanut butter by 1/2 teaspoons-full across the batter. When your done it should look something like this. I sprinkled in a few Reese's Pieces but in the end, you couldn't tell they were there and I would leave them out if I did it again.
DSC_3146

3. Next mix up the Peanut Butter Cookie dough. Just mix all the ingredients together and get moving.

1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 stick of butter
1/2 cup of peanut butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
1/4 cup mini Reese's Pieces for baking

4. Take about two tablespoons of batter and make a flat disk. Place the disks randomly over the brownie batter. Sprinkle with the remaining milk chocolate chips. It will look like this. 

  DSC_3147
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes or until toothpick comes out with just a few crumbs - no sticky batter though. They'll look like this.
DSC_3148

6. For the best looking bars, allow to cool before cutting. But I have to tell you, I ate one on a spoon fresh out of the oven and with that warm peanut butter it was wicked in so many ways.


DSC_3149





Take it to the next level
If I was looking for a dessert to make people's mouth drop. I would make these, allow them to cool so they cut beautifully. Then I would warm one in the microwave for maybe 20-30 seconds. I would top it with ice cream. (B&J's Peanut Butter Cup would be perfect.) Then I would melt together 1/4 cup of peanut butter and 1/4 cup of chocolate chips and drizzle it over the top. Seriously, people would think you were amazing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment