Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Holiday Almond Toffee

I was in the mood for this toffee. I actually saw the Almond Roca (is that how you spell it?) at the store and refused to spend $8.00 on a can. So I came home and made this stuff. I wish I had put the almonds on it because it would have been soooooo much better. Don't leave them out even if your family - like mine - refuses to go within ten feet of a nut treat. (Honestly it is so bad that if I make something for the neighbors I lie - yes lie - about it having nuts in it so they will leave it alone. Works every time.)

This recipe comes from a book called Candymaking by Ruth A. Kendrick and Pauline H Atkinson.

What you'll need:
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/4 cup water
1 & 1/12 cups sugar
1 cup toasted almonds
1 cup butter
1 package milk chocolate chips.

What you do:

Butter a 15" x 10" jellyroll pan and set aside.

In an electric fry pan, combine corn syrup, water, and sugar. Set temp to 360 degrees and stir constantly until mixture boils.

DSC_2913DSC_2914
























Add butter.
DSC_2915


Stir until butter is melted and mixture darkens just a bit. I cook mine to soft crack stage.
DSC_2916

Pour candy into the pan. As it begins to set, score lines with a knife.
DSC_2917
DSC_2918While the candy is still warm, dump chocolate chips on top. Wait for them to melt and then spread them into an even layer. Sprinkle with almonds while chocolate is still melted. Cool to room temperature and then break candy along scored lines. Store in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment