Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Something old

DSC_2582My primary class had a lesson on service. I wanted to actually have them put into practice the things we were talking about. After shaking my brain over it, I came up with this brilliant idea.

We spent the last ten minutes of class pealing crayons from one of the library's crayon bags. Then I brought them home and melted them into new crayons. They look like this.




To get that awesome shape I used some mini-muffin tins.

DSC_2581

Once the crayons were sorted by color and broken into small pieces, I set the pan over a warm burner to melt the wax. After they melt, I let them cool on my bread board and then put them in the freezer for a few  minutes before tapping them out on the counter.

The pans cleaned up really easily. I warmed them up again and wiped off the extra wax with a paper towel. Please do this before putting them in the dishwasher because the wax will melt off in the hot water and then harden in your pipes!

So I'm really excited to take our new crayons back and show the kids. Maybe we'll take another bag home next week.

1 comment:

  1. Great idea! Might be a nice way to condense my daughter's crayon box down!

    ReplyDelete