Friday, December 3, 2010

Cinna-sticks

DSC_2398

I have been baking - I swear. I mean it was Thanksgiving and I did some great pies. I actually made a pumpkin pie from - get this - a real pumpkin. It's not as hard as you think. But that's a post for another day...

These Cinna-sticks are an adaption from a recipe in I can't believe it's Food Storage by Crystal Godfrey. (Thanks for the book Mom.) I hope your kids enjoy them as much as mine did.

A note on the frosting choice. I think the sticks would look prettier with white frosting, but I already had red made and waiting in the fridge...hey I'm a busy mom. :-)

Cinna-Sticks

2 1/2 cups very warm water
2 T. regular yeast
2 T. sugar
1 T cinnamon
3 T. oil
1 teaspoon salt
6 c. flour (I used 3 wheat and 3 white)
1 cube of butter
1/3 cup sugar mixed with 2 T. cinnamon

Pour yeast into warm water, add sugar and wait for yeast to activate. Pour yeast into your mixer (with a bread hook) add oil and salt. Gradually add flour, one cup at a time. Mix until dough is smooth.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut the butter in half. Melt half the cube on a cookie sheet while oven warms up. Cut the other half into cubes and set aside. Once the butter has melted spread the dough into the pan using your hands. Sprinkle butter cubes over dough and then sprinkle with cinn/sugar mixture. Let rise for 10-15 min. Cook for 10-12 minutes or until desired browning has accomplished. Once cooled drizzle with frosting of your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment